Eat Right, Exercise Right.
Eating the right foods before and after your workouts helps our bodies in so many ways, including: reducing inflammation, burning fat, building muscle, and replenishing energy stores.
Read our 5 easy health tips below that help you make the most of your gym time.
- Choose Foods Dense in Nutrients: The type of nutrients you need depends on the duration and type of workout that you are performing. How long is the exercise you are performing? You need the right balance of healthy fats and complex carbohydrates to refuel and repair.
- Incorporate Super-foods into Your Diet: Specifically, beets, sweet potatoes, spinach, oats and eggs. All these key foods bring specific dietary benefits to the table. Beets have nutrients which may increase blood flow to muscles and are also rich in antioxidants. Sweet potatoes provide carbohydrates and antioxidants, and oats provide steady energy along with B-vitamins. Lastly, spinach may help improve muscle performance.
- Snack Before You Workout: Eat a snack that is high in carbohydrates 2 to 4 hours before your workout, because carbs provide the body more immediate energy than protein or fat. Consuming too much protein, fat or sugar before a workout can lead to cramping or discomfort.
- Eat a Well Balanced Meal After a Workout: After really difficult workouts, make sure to refuel your body’s energy stores with a well balanced meal, within 60 minutes afterward.
- After Your Workouts- Avoid Junk Food! It doesn’t help with our recovery, and doesn’t help us repair any damaged tissues. Processed foods high in sugar and fat are tempting, but may sabotage your workout goals.
Stick to your goals, follow these tips, and make the most of your challenging workouts!
Jesse Elliott, DPT, Licensed Doctor of Physical Therapy with Siskiyou PT
We offer Same Day Appointments for those that are post surgical or medically urgent. We offer discounts or payment plans for those that have high insurance deductible health plans, no insurance or have a financial hardship.
Call now to get your life back 541-479-6936 or visit SiskiyouPT.com
If you like this post or have a question. Comment below.